Chapter 5 builds on the U.S. Shorebird Conservation Plan and is intended to provide a source of quantitative population objectives for shorebirds that have not previously been available. The information will facilitate the development of landscape-level conservation planning for shorebirds in the Intermountain West linked to continental goals. An important body of work includes bioenergetics modeling results in two key sites – the Great Salt Lake and the Blanca Wetlands Habitat Area. These pilots will serve as a prototype for similar modeling projects in 16 other key sites for shorebirds in the Intermountain West.
Key elements of the chapter include:
- The most up-to-date information on shorebirds in the Intermountain West including seasonal occurrence of shorebird species by Bird Conservation Region (BCR) and Area of Importance Scores for shorebirds (by BCR)
- A description of seven shorebird habitat types in the Intermountain West
- Threats and limiting factors
- Population estimates and objectives for passage and breeding shorebirds in the Intermountain West
- Identification of 18 Shorebird Key Sites with peak migration counts
- Identification of seven breeding shorebird focal species